Thursday, October 11, 2012

When elephants fight..


"When elephants fight, the grass hurts."

During his speech Mr. Goh quoted this amazing African proverb, and pulled out this old watercolor I did to match the quote.
This past week I went to Harvard to see former Singaporean Prime Minister Mr. Goh Chok Tong speak about Singapore in the world economy. I personally don't know much about economics, but I was inspired by his perspectives on how a world economy should work. Mr. Goh talked a lot about how as a small state in the world economy, Singapore works to make itself useful to other countries. He  emphasized how Singapore actively works to build and strengthen partnerships and get countries to work collectively as a whole.
I liked the idea of teamwork Mr. Goh emphasized and that competition isn't necessarily a bad thing, but actually healthy for economic growth.
Outside of these points, I was just excited to hear and be around Singaporeans. With my family being from Singapore I have such a great love for the country and its people - but my greatest fear is that it is losing what makes it special. Singapore is this incredibly diverse melting pot and although some say America has a wonderful amalgamation of cultures I feel that when it comes to the actual melting it doesn't hold a candle to Singapore. American sub-culture is incredibly rich and unique only to the U.S. but still remains somewhat distinctly divided. In Singapore, all cultures seem to actually combine and form a larger national identity - which, to me, is this beautiful (and somewhat romantic) incarnation of east meeting west. It is really a hidden gem in my eyes.


One of my favorite things to do is look at vintage photographs of Singapore. I love especially love the photos of the jungle and people dressed in this mix of eastern and western clothing.


Speaking of east meets west - I had some delicious noodle salad and vietnamese iced coffee from my absolute favorite food truck Bon Me !! They do a great job of making traditional, authentic Vietnamese food with a slight fusion twist.
SO DELISH.

 Listening to lots of the Kooks & the Arctic Monkeys - my two favorites!!
The acoustic performance of "Sway" by the Kooks is just amazing (as well as the blip of bonus vintage Katy Perry footage !! ♥ )
 (Gosh I wish I worked/lived in the U.K./British television/music. #TheDream)
Can't stop. Won't Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment